New Beauty editors offer some great tips on how to cleanse the face properly. The steps are taken directly from them, and you can also check them out on the above link.
The steps are as follows:
1. Use a non-stripping makeup remover first.
2. Use warm water. Warm water helps to soften the skin for exfoliation. Cold water prevents this. Hot water burns, causing broken capillaries. Warm water is the way to go.
3. Use circular motions to cleanse, but don’t scrub. Do this for at least 30 seconds. Don’t stretch or pull the skin. Just use the fingertips to massage—gently!— the cleanser into the skin. Let it sit for one to two minutes.
4. Rinse well! New Beauty says, “Use a washcloth or cotton pad saturated in water to get every last bit of cleanser off the skin—cleanser left on the skin can dry it out.”
5. Gently pat dry with a towel. Don’t rub. Rubbing might cause dry patches, redness, and tears.