When we are stressed, a chemical response is triggered in the body which makes skin more sensitive and reactive. Stress can also slow down the healing of skin.
Do you notice when you are stressed that break outs occur more? This is because stress causes your body to produce cortisol and other hormones, which tells your sebaceous glands to produce more oil. Oily skin is more prone to acne and other skin problems.
Although it’s impossible to avoid stress completely, learning how to handle it better can help. Here are some tips for better skin.
- Take care of your skin, especially when you’re tired or stressed.
- Get regular exercise. It’s good for your skin and the rest of your body.
- Take time for you by doing something you enjoy such as reading or taking a relaxing bath.
- Take a walk around the block.
- Practice stress management techniques, such as breathing exercises, yoga, meditation, or visual imagery.
- Get enough sleep. You should get 7 – 8 hours per night.
- Learn to say no. It’s OK to set limits and boundaries to lower your stress.
- Talk to someone instead of keeping things bottled up inside. Seek support from a friend or a professional therapist.
The Kopelson Clinic can provide effective skin care treatments which include medications, cosmetic laser surgery and a personalized skin care regimen. Cosmetic dermatology can be custom tailored to each patient’s needs and lifestyle. A combination of home skin care regimens with office procedures is recommended.
There are a number of excellent skin treatment options at the Kopelson Clinic including acne laser treatment, IPL photofacial treatment and photodynamic therapy. In some cases, an acne chemical peel or acne surgery can be recommended. When these procedures are used, harsh systemic medications can often be avoided