5 Things a Dermatologist Would Never Do!
As a board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Kopelson knows that taking care of his skin goes beyond the products we offer and he uses on his own skin. Lifestyle choices have a significant effect on how our skin looks and feels. Here are a few things you wouldn’t see me do because they are not good for your skin!
1. Skip exercise. Getting a good workout in regularly helps get your skin is natural radiance. Exercise boosts circulation and tones and strengthens your muscles so that the skin that on top will glow and even look better! Exercise also helps to relieve stress, and there are tons of stress-related conditions like acne, eczema, psoriasis and hair loss that you can help improve by simply exercising.
2. Sleep on my face. It’s not just an old wives’ tale: Sleeping on your face really does age your skin faster, as the pressure for hours overnight can cause wrinkles and more volume loss on the side of the face that you’re sleeping on. This all adds up over the days, weeks and years for more wrinkles and sagging. Sleeping on your back is the ideal position.
3. Skip washing off makeup. At night, washing your face with a gentle cleanser decreases the bacterial colony that has developed on your face. (Gross, but true.) If you don’t take the time to wash your face at night, bacteria-feeding conditions like acne can be aggravated and skin can grow dull and lackluster from the lack of exfoliation.
4. Go in a tanning booth. First, there’s cancer-research shows that baking in a bed before the age of 30 increases the risk of Melanoma (the deadliest form of skin cancer) by 75 percent for the rest of your life, and all booth bathers have an increased risk for melanomas of the eyes, as well as for squamous cell and basal cell carcinomas..
5. Walk out without sunscreen on. Applying a sunscreen of SPF 30 or above daily will help prevent every symptom of aging, as 90 percent of visible aging comes from the sun’s UV rays. The shield will also help prevent cancer and other common dermal conditions like psoriasis and rosacea from flaring up.
The Kopelson Clinic offers a myriad of advanced dermatological treatments and procedures, Dr. Kopelson and his staff provide personalized clinical suggestions and cosmetic dermatology services to customize each patient’s specific medical and cosmetic concerns.